in operation at various times in Western York County. In 1851, a twenty-one pound nugget was taken from the Martin mine near Whiteside General Store.
Smyrna, located in Broad River Township, has the distinction of being the smallest incorporated town in South Carolina: the official town population in the 200 census was fifty-nine. It takes its name from the Smyrna ARP Church, which in turn gets its name from the Greek city of Smyrna on the Agean coast of Asia Minor, mentioned prominently in the Biblical Book of Revelation. Smyrna also has the distinction of being York County’s westernmost town; it is located almost on the border with Cherokee County. The region located between Smyrna and the upper Broad River is noted for being rich in mineral deposits, particularly iron and gold.
Courtesy of Michael C. Scoggins, Yorkville Historical Society