Most of Sharon’s commercial district is listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings. The beautifully restored Hill Building was built in 1913 and was the home of Hill Mercantile and Planters Bank. Other distinguished examples of architecture relating to the cotton based economy can be seen throughout the town.
The largest town in Broad River Township is Sharon, located six miles southwest of York on the east side of Bullock’s Creek. Sharon had it’s beginnings as a farming community situated about halfway between Beersheba Presbyterian Church to the north and Bullock’s Creek Presbyterian Church to the southwest-between Dan and Beersheba, to use the Biblical phrase. After the establishment of Pinckneyville as the seat of the Pinckney District in 1791, the road from Yorkville to Pinckney’s Ferry became an important highway running through the future site of Sharon. In 1796, the Sharon ARP Church, which took its name from the fertile plain mentioned in the Old Testament, was established on the Pinckney’s Ferry Road (now SC Highway 49) near its intersection with several other local roads. Sharon Church became a focal point for this community, and the area around the church soon became known as “Sharon”.
Courtesy of Michael C. Scoggins, Yorkville Historical Society